Elena Yu. PASKOVA
I.I. Polzunov Altai State Technical University (Barnaul, Altai Krai, Russia);
PhD in History, Associate Professor; e-mail: email@example.com
ORGANIZATION OF INTERNATIONAL TOURISM IN THE USSR IN TERMS OF ALTAI KRAI (1960–1980-ies)
The article is devoted to the identification of the main institutions of the organization of international or "foreign" tourism in the USSR, the study of their functioning in the country and the specifics of activity in Altai Krai in the 1960 – 1980-ies. International tourism was under control of the party and government bodies. "Intourist" and the Bureau of International Youth Tourism "Sputnik" were specialized organizations in the field of tourism. Foreign tourism was characterized by excessive indoctrination and social orientation, because most of the tourist vouchers for trips abroad were issued free of charge or with significant discounts for workers and employees of branch trade union committees. The international youth tourism developed in the form of non-currency exchanges. Foreign tourism in those years was not a mass as an internal or amateur tourism, but the dynamics of tourists going abroad was positive. The plan was the form of organization of tourist flow. Socialist countries (Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Poland, Romania), the capitalist countries (West Germany) and developing countries (eg. Yugoslavia) were the main tourist destinations. For each country the own nuances in drawing up of documents were determined. The international tourism development in the USSR contributed to the establishment of tourist infrastructure, creation service enterprises, training of qualified personnel in the field of excursion service with knowledge of several foreign languages. International exchanges in the line of "Sputnik" gave the opportunity for youth of foreign countries to get acquainted with the rich cultural heritage of the USSR, and it often downplayed tensions in international relations.
Keywords: international tourism, USSR, "Intourist", "Sputnik", Altai Krai.
1. Arkhipova, E. P. (2008). Nekotorye aspekty razvitija sovetskogo vyezdnogo turizma v 1980–1991 gg. (na primere turisticheskogo obmena s kapitalisticheskimi stranami) [Some Aspects of Outbound Tourism in USSR in 1980–1991 (on tourism exchange with capitalist countries)]. Sovremennye problemy servisa i turizma [Service and Tourism: Current Challenges], 2(1), 36-43. (In Russ.).
2. Andreeva, E. B. (2009). Turizm v SSSR: organizacionnaya struktura sistemy turizma i mezhdunarodnyh obmenov vo vtoroj polovine ХХ veka [Tourism in the USSR: The organizational structure of the tourism and international exchanges system in the second half of the XX century]. Turizm i kulturnoe nasledie [Tourism and Cultural Heritage]. Saratov, Publ. House of the SSU, 98-102. (In Russ.).
3. Kvartal'nov, V. A., & Fedorchenko, V. K. (1989). Turizm social'nyj: istoriya i sovremennost' [Social tourism: History and modernity]. Kiev, Vyshcha shkola. (In Russ.).
4. Mashkova, A. M. (2010). Pervye shagi mezhdunarodnogo molodezhnogo turizma v SSSR: lagerya i bazy «Sputnika» v 1958 godu [The first steps of the international youth tourism in the USSR: the camps and bases «Sputnik» in 1958]. Service plus, (4), 77-83. (In Russ.).
- Pashkova, E. Yu. (2016). Organization of international tourism in the USSR in terms of Altai Krai (1960–1980-ies). Sovremennye problemy servisa i turizma [Service and Tourism: Current Challenges], 10(4), 128-132. doi: 10.22412/1995-0411-2016-10-4-128-132 (In Russ.).