Anna Yu. ALEKSANDROVA
Lomonosov Moscow State University (Moscow, Russia);
PhD (Dr.Sc.) in Geography, Professor; e-mail: email@example.com
TRANSFORMATION OF URBAN SPACE: FROM INDUSTRIAL PAST TO CULTURAL AND TOURISM CENTRE (THE CASE OF LODZ)
The article discusses the course of tourism space penetration in old single-industry towns. Common patterns and special features of this process are revealed, Lodz, Poland taken as an example. The study examines economic history of the city for the period of XIX – early XX centuries' industrial boom when key branches of the city's economy were formed. This knowledge was later used as a basis for Lodz tourism mega-product concept. Deep crisis of the late XX century led to the urban space transformation through the tertiary sector growth and the improvement of the city's tourism attractiveness. Arrangement of tourism space penetration in Lodz is viewed through the prism of old industrial sites revival, development of new demanded tourism products, effective event management and marketing campaign on promoting Lodz as cultural and tourism centre. The action plan for revitalization of old single-industry towns is presented.
The article looks into a large amount of official statistical information of Lodz region together with the wide range of works by Polish authors as well as Internet sites of Polish National Tourism Administration. The methods of field studies (based on the author's multiple visits to Lodz for scientific purposes) and expert in-depth interviews are the most important in broad spectrum of general scientific and special research meth-ods. The author would like to express her gratitude to the Polish scientists, Stanislaw Liszewski and Bogdan Wlodarczyk in particular, for their support in writing this article.
Keywords: urban tourism, cultural tourism, event tourism, tourism space penetration, special economic zone, brand, tourist route, Poland, Lodz.
1. Lendri, Ch. (2011). Kreativnyj gorod [Creative City]. Moscow: «Klassika-XXI» Publ. House. (In Russ.).
2. Mal's'ka, M. P., & Hudo, V. V. (2007). Turistichnij bіznes: teorіja ta praktika [Tourism Business: Theory and Practice]. Kyiv: Centr uchbovoi lіteratury. (In Ukr.).
3. Cudny, W. (2012). Socio-economic changes in Lodz – the results of twenty years of system transfor-mation. Geographical journal, 64(1), 3-27.
4. Florida, R. L. (2003). Cities and the creative class. City and Community, 2(1), 3-19.
5. Liszewski, S. (2009). Urban “tourism exploration space”: the example of Lodz. Tourism, 19(1-2), 57-62. doi: 10.2478/V10106-009-0007-8.
6. Liszewski, S. (2014). Urban tourist penetration space – an industrial city case study. Economic problems of tourism, 28(836), 307-324.
7. Prusinowski, P. (2008). Szlak pieszy i przewodnik turystyczny po „Zielonym Kręgu Tradycji i Kultury” jako element produktu turystycznego Łodzi. Master’s thesis at the Institute of Urban Geography and Tourism. Łódź: Łódź University.
- Aleksandrova, A. Yu. (2017). Transformation of urban space: from industrial past to cultural and tourism centre (the case of Lodz). Sovremennye problemy servisa i turizma [Service and Tourism: Current Challenges], 11(2), 47-60. doi: 10.22412/1995-0411-2017-11-2-7-00 (In Russ.).